Welbeck and Iwobi strikes help Gunners overcome difficult Toffees challenge


Everton hosted Arsenal in the English Premier League fixture at the Goodison Park on 19th March, 2016. British referee Mark Clattenburg was in charge of the enthralling fixture.

The important encounter marked the 205th time Everton and Arsenal faced each other in all competitions, with Arsenal clinching 100 prior to the match compared to Everton bagging 59. Everton had won only once in their last eight matches against Arsenal, but have not lost in their previous three games between the two teams at the Goodison Park.

The match which was touted to be a thriller proved to live up to its expectations as Everton started the proceedings. Toffees wing-back Seamus Coleman and Gunners forward Danny Welbeck both hit the woodwork in the 2nd minute. The crowd was starting to experience what proved to be much more than just a decent Premier League fixture.

Gunners took the early lead when a brilliant one-two was played between Gunners midfielders Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil before finding an unmarked Danny Welbeck who then quickly took the ball around Everton goalie Joel Robles and tapped into an empty net in the 7th minute.

Having impressed against Barcelona in the midweek defeat at Camp Nou in the Champions League, Arsenal kept their faith with youngster Alex Iwobi. The 19-year-old Nigerian wonderkid proved his credentials as he scored his first Premier League goal in the 42nd minute. Spanish right-back Hector Bellerin passed a long ball towards Iwobi who upon receiving dodged Everton centre-back Ramiro Funes Mori before calmly placing the ball through the legs of Joel Robles from close range. Iwobi thus extended the lead to two goals with minutes remaining before half-time.

Referee Mark Clattenburg blew the whistle announcing half-time as Arsenal leaded Everton 2-0 thanks to Welbeck and Iwobi. Arsene Wenger was delighted with the way the Gunners approached the game and will remain hopeful of sealing the three crucial points to get their Premier League title surge on track. Roberto Martinez will be keen on letting his team know that with home advantage there is time to turn the tie but they need to act quickly to capitalize. Arsenal started the second half with some exchanges in their own half as Everton tried to get back into the game. The second half saw both teams put on some good defensive performance to deny each other goals.

In the 65th minute, Coleman’s cross into the box saw Toffees forward Romelu Lukaku colliding with Arsenal goalie David Ospina. The goalkeeper took a substantial blow to the head and looked shaky which saw Gunners reserve keeper Matthew Macey put through stretches. But the 27-year-old Columbian decided to continue after few minutes of medical attention.

Referee Mark Clattenburg brought an end to proceedings as he blew the full-time whistle after six minutes of extra-time at the Goodison Park where Arsenal eased to a 2-0 victory over Everton in a match which barely saw Arsenal goalie David Ospina being tested.

The home team had 55% possession compared to the away side’s 45%. Everton had two shots on target in their three attempts while Arsenal had four on target in their six efforts.

With the win, the Gunners now sits 3rd in the Premier League table with 55 points from 30 fixtures still three points behind Tottenham Hotspur and eight behind table-toppers Leicester City. While Everton languish in 12th spot with 38 points from 29 matches.

Watch the Everton vs. Arsenal highlights:


Post a Comment

Posting comments will be enabled soon!